Friday, June 20, 2008

What's Cooking


Lately on the weekends we've been making whole wheat waffles in bulk to last the week...freezing and popping them in the oven for a few minutes every morning. I add a few spoonfuls of almond butter and sprinkle on some flaxseed...add a cup of coffee from our vintage glass percolator (my latest Etsy find that I *heart*)...and that's my current favorite breakfast (oh how I LOVE breakfast/brunch)! What's the fave meal you like to start your day with??



I got the recipe from here....it's so easy. We alter it a bit by doing all whole wheat pastry flour and rice instead of soy milk...and sometimes add a couple teaspoons of cinnamon or sliced almonds to the batter...you could also add cranberries, raisins, or chocolate or carob chips for a sweet treat - yummy!

Vegan Waffles - makes about 7 waffles

(1) cup - Whole wheat pastry flour
(2) T - Baking powder
(1/4) tsp - Salt
(1) cup - Rice milk
(1/2) cup - Applesauce

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt...Add rice milk and applesauce. Pour into lightly greased waffle iron (we use olive oil) and bake until golden brown...

2 comments:

Erin Alaska said...

yummy! one more summer goodie to try, thanks. I plan on making lotions like crazy on sunday. This is all experimental, I am going to make some later for Christmas presents too. In a pretty little vintage bottle.
oh, and I can't live without my daily coffee either. Happy solstice!
-erin

Angela Harris said...

Thank goodness for you. Last year around this time I went on the Raw Food Detox Diet & lost 20 pounds in about 3 months. I loved it & slowly after the holidays have gone back to alot of sugary things. Recently waffles have been a favorite of the kids & I know almst all of it is unrecognizable ingredients. I had stopped buying them b/c I felt horrible giving them to the kids. so I needed this post badly. Thank you!