Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'm bringing hankie back...

Yes that's right :)...I've been wanting to bring hankies back for awhile here at our nest. Since we don't use disposable anything else, cloth handkerchiefs fit right on in. But I wanted to make cute little hankie pouches for them, so I made my Dad's birthday present my trial run. Using an old shirt of my Love's that no longer fit him, I made this one...


It turned out pretty well I think - not perfect by any means, but pretty good. I got the overall idea here, but changed it up and didn't really follow the directions. I wanted a different opening flap than in the tutorial and made a separate outside pocket because I wanted the pouch to be a bit bigger. It's lined with some fabric scraps I got from Hobby Lobby for a steal and finished with a pearl snap. Inside are three super soft organic cotton hankies that I got from here...I had planned on embroidering them, but didn't allow enough time to teach myself how to embroider (soon though:). My Dad, whom I remember used to always have a hankie, seemed to like it, and now I can't wait to make two for my Love and me!


My Dad's favorite cake is a spice one, so I found this vegan spice cake recipe and it was yummy! Used all whole-wheat pastry flour (as always) and baked it in a bundt pan (obviously, per the picture:), made a little powdered sugar and orange juice icing, and added some chopped almonds and raisins to finish the look. It turned out really well and was even more delicious the next morning with some coffee. It tastes very "fall" to me with all the spices - we'll have to try it in October with some spiced apple cider - now that would be delicious! I LOVE me some summer but cool weather sounds pretty nice...


Oh and the vintage metal cake carrier I got from a good friend for my birthday recently - isn't it adorable? Thanks Emily!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that cake tin! And what a great idea for repurposing a shirt.

And LOVE your new family picture in your sidebar. So sweet.

Angela Harris said...

Mmm yummy. & gorgeous too. Thank you for your post on your wedding photographer. She is amazing. My husband & I are going on a vacation there (hopefully next year) & I am definately going to make an appointment with her.

Erin Alaska said...

oh the old and new. love, love, love vintage. Unless I find it at a yard sale, there is a lack of vintage, antique shops here. The little hankie holder is adorable. Hope you are out of the TX storms.
Now I am off to conquer sewing some p.j.'s for my little man. At the rate my belly is expanding I will be making maturnity clothes too.
:)
erin
p.s. project runway tonight-yeah!!

Anonymous said...

What a great pouch! We love hankies. My son, who is a hs senior, always carries one. He has had girls say "Ew, who would carry a handkerchief??"but happily, he is unmoved. And there are smarter girls... ;)

Joslyn said...

that hankie package is adorable...love that fish fabric.

p.s. we went to Benito's in Ft. Worth after the Kimbell. have fun at that impressionists exhibit...it was so lovely!