Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Those darn yellow pages


Today was just beautiful here so we enjoyed ourselves outside for a good while! The next two days are supposed to be extremely nice too so we'll have to take advantage of it while we can!

Alright friends, so every once in awhile we get that massive yellow book on our porch and every single time we put it straight into the recycling bin...You too??? Not so green, is it? We just don't have a use for it. I am sure there are many people that still use them (like my sweet Mommy) but we just don't. I really do not like that we get them unsolicited in the first place as it's alot of wasted paper. If people want one, they should have to ask for it, right?

But anyway, when I saw this grassroots campaign called Yellow Pages Goes Green recently, it made me very happy and I immediately "opted out" of receiving the yellow and white pages here at their website. They will contact the publishers with the names of whomever opts-out, BUT the publishers are not currently liable if they continue to send the books to you unfortunately. The campaign's goal is to get the industry to stop the 540 million books they are currently delivering unsolicited on their own (uh-huh). If that doesn't work, they want to get a National No Delivery Register set up (like the National Do Not Call one). So hopefully it works, but we'll see. It certainly is worth a shot as it's free and only takes a minute...

I've gotten tagged here twice so maybe Friday I'll do a little of that for fun...and then I have that darn birthday party post of Lovebug's that has been sitting in my Draft folder forever so maybe Monday on that one. Hope everyone's weeks are going well! It's already Wednesday...WOW!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just complaining this week about the phone books. Thanks for the link. :)

The Clan said...

I just got one too and thought how much I didn't want another one sitting around. I'm going to opt out. Thanks for the info.

The Rozell Family said...

check out walk slowly live wildly adn the answers to her questions. cool stuff!

i tagged you, you gotta do it!

i am off to library to get books on unschoolign! been curious lately and want to learn more!

Maria Rose said...

I wish I could opt out. I live in an apartment complex and they just deliver a huge stack of them. I wait a few days and grab all of the extras and take them to recycling lest they be thrown into the garbage.

inkWELL Press said...

I signed up for that too and I just saw the telephone book delivery guys on my street last week. Guess what? Didn't get one on my door, so I think it really works! I was so excited! :)

Chrissy said...

Love that picture, and yes...those phone books are just a pain in the rear. We get them several times a year and they're so big and bulky!

Anonymous said...

We have the yellow pages here and I agree such a waste of paper when it is all available on the internet as well!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this! We get 4 of these books and I can't stand it! I cringe everytime they get delivered but never knew who to call... THANKS!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i adore this picture! thanks for your comment...i'm kicking myself for forgetting wild hearts can't be broken from my list!